TAKE ACTION - REQUEST PUBLIC HEARING ON CHEMOURS' PERMIT
Chemours can discharge pollutants if approved via a permit reviewed by the N.C Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) through the National Pollutant Discharge and Elimination System (NPDES), which is a part of the Clean Water Act.
Permits must be renewed every five years.
- DEQ received Chemours renewal application May 3. 2016.
- It sat in backlog at DEQ (NOTE: our state needs to fund DEQ more.)
- Chemours' permit then expired in October.
- BUT, Chemours can legally keep discharging until their submitted NPDES application is responded to by DEQ.
- 30-day Public Comment period for this permit has not yet been published by DEQ - KEEP AN EYE ON THIS SITE FOR POSTING BY DEQ.
IN THE MEANTIME, REQUEST A PUBLIC HEARING:
- It is up to the discretion of the DEQ Director as to whether a public hearing will be held
To request a hearing on a NPDES permit, write to:
Director of the Division of Water Resources
N.C. Division of Water Resources
1617 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1617